Does Time Heal All Wounds?

“Time Heals All Wounds”
Well...sort of, but not really.
Today marks 13 years since my youngest brother, Jason, took his own life when he was 19 years old. Over time, the open wound has turned into a scar for me. It still hurts at times (I’m fighting back tears as I type this) , but it’s a new normal.
I have several friends that I know have recently lost parents, siblings, friends, and even children. If I could say one thing to you, is that it’s okay to allow your wound to heal. This is not forgetting about your loved one.
Emotional wounds, just like physical ones, do not heal instantly. However, “time” itself is not the cure. These 5 steps will help you get “through” (not “over”) your grief:
1. Acknowledging your pain
2. Accepting that grief can trigger different and unexpected emotions
3. Understanding that your grief process will be unique to you
4. Seeking face-to-face support from people who care about you
5. Supporting yourself emotionally by taking care of yourself physically
6. Recognizing the difference between grief and depression
Instead of a wound, you’ll have a scar...their memories. Sometimes it might still be painful, but eventually (with time), the life they lived can positively shape yours.

Popular posts from this blog

Have I Really Learned Anything?

A Time to Heal